Tapping in to Your Writer Identity
Summer, or vacation season, is coming to an end, but that doesn't mean you can't give your writing a vacation now (or any time of the year). Creative writing is the key to successful writing because it gives otherwise dry, voiceless writing a unique, personal spin that's sure to make your work memorable.
With the weekend right around the corner, breathe some new life into your writing with these creative activities (but don't forget to keep up with your Scripted account!):
- Write a Six Word Story: As writers, we're usually rather verbose. Take this six-word challenge and tap into your ability to be both creative and concise.
- Jot down the first 3 words that come to your mind. Write a short story revolving around these 3 words.
- Write a one page day-in-the-life of an inanimate object, using personification.
- Free-write: Set a timer for ten minutes, and continue writing until the timer goes off. Don't worry about punctuation or syntax, just let whatever comes to mind flow.
Ready to put your content into overdrive?
Introducing Scripted Cruise Control:
Content marketing strategy, content creation, account management, and analytics starting at $999/mo.
- Find a word each day that you've never used before in the dictionary. Try using it in both conversation and writing, and see all the new ways you can express yourself.
- If you're really feeling up to a challenge, try combining two or more from this list!
The main goal of these activities is to have fun with your writing. We hope, too, that harnessing your creativity will improve the "unique" factor in your academic and professional writing. Ultimately, what will set you apart from other writers is your own, unique writing - like a fingerprint.
So, next time your writing starts to feel a little dry or flavorless, try one of these creative writing activities and re-harness your individual writing identity.