Painting walls is typically the first thing people think of when wanting to make their new space feel like their own, but many apartments and houses don't allow it. Regardless, a house must feel like a home; it is the place you come to and should enjoy the cozy surroundings of every day. We have some ideas that might help you brainstorm how to decorate your space without painting your walls.
- Temporary wallpaper: Wallpaper might have seemed like a thing of the past, but it's back with many colors and patterns. Another more cost-effective and low commitment idea is double-sided tape and wrapping paper, pages of a book, or even newspaper!
- Wall decals, tile transfers, masking or washi tape: There is a wide variety of wall decals and tile transfers to choose from. We are sure one of them will catch your eye, but if not, consider making your own patterns and designs with masking or washi tape.
- Bamboo blinds and floor-length curtains Think boho chic or Gatsby manor, respectively. Blinds and curtains do not have to cover only windows; they can also cover a wall or a peculiar section of your home.
- Hang things: art, photos, bikes, guitars, macrame, etc.: Beyond pictures and paintings, consider putting a bike, guitar, or any other meaningful object(s) on the wall that would make a statement. Let your space be a reflection of you.
- Book or plant wall, or both: Display your botany friends or your collection of fine reads for the world to see. Don't be afraid to move things around and change them until they feel just right. There is a fine line between eccentricity and clutter, but we're sure you'll find the balance that is best for you.
- Photo bricks or postcards, or showcasing a collection: Much like numbers 4 and 5 on our list, you can't go wrong with displaying the things you already own and love in an eye-catching way. Displaying a collection is a particularly interesting way to decorate your home! For example, imagine a wall with your many cute keychains from around the world.
- Shelves and funky shelves: Adding shelves, funky or not, to a room can add a sense of balance and order, even if the objects they display are whimsical. Shop around and play with some ideas.
- Folding screens (you can hang things on them too): They can be as simple or elaborate as you want, and they vary in sizes. Leave them as is or use them to display pictures, art, small plants, or other objects.
- Magnetic or bulletin wall: This is a fabulous idea for those who like written lists, reminders, quotes on scraps of paper, cutouts of magazines or newspapers, pictures, you name it.
Don't be afraid to give your space a little character. You might find that decorating it will provide you with an outlet by which to reflect who you are and how you want people to perceive you. Show off your quirks and hobbies, and vibrantly be who you are.