We take all forms of plagiarism very seriously, including unattributed paraphrasing. Please see our brief rules and best practices below.
- Cite statistics, studies and borrowed ideas (using MLA, ACS or OWL).
- Don’t copy the structure or headings of another piece.
- Use and cite multiple sources when possible.
- Don’t reword sentences from another piece line by line.
- When relying on sources, provide original insight.
- Don’t use a plagiarism checker. If your piece is original, plagiarism shouldn’t be a concern.
- Don’t tab back and forth between your writing and a source. Set aside all sources while writing.
- Do not reference a single source in more than 20-30% of your piece.
- Unless you’re writing a response piece, don’t pitch a topic that you know is already covered by a single source.