As a content marketer, you want to make sure you are spending your marketing dollars and time as effectively as possible. Email marketing is still one of the most effective ways you reach your audience and make money. Email makes money. For every $1 you spend on email marketing, you can expect an average return of $38. There are plenty of great reasons to use email marketing, but this is the one that will keep you in business! The larger and more engaged your email list is – the more traffic your website will get and the more money you’ll make.
However, solutions that have worked in the past – like the standard opt-in form that comes with many email providers – just aren’t enough anymore. We need to have opt-in forms living on your websites, trigger forms based on user behavior, page level targeting and more. And you need to be able to run A/B tests in order to tell which methods are actually working and boost conversions.
Sounds like a lot, right? Well, fortunately it is actually pretty easy to accomplish all of this on WordPress if you’re savvy enough to use the right plugins. Not all of them are that great or worth the time and money they require. That’s why you need to focus on the ones that will help you master your email marketing strategy and help your email list and site continue to grow.
Check out this list of the five best WordPress email plugins and forget all the rest!
Thrive Leads is a lead generation WordPress plugin that helps you build your email list super fast. It comes with cutting edge conversion tactics that smart businesses and growth hackers are all starting to use, and it helps you build every type of opt-in form possible in order to maximize your conversions.
Every opt-in form has a variety of templates you can choose from and you can use the drag & drop editor to effectively brand them for your business. You can create as many opt-in forms as you need to and decide where they should live. They also offer advanced split testing as well as insightful and comprehensive reporting. As far as WordPress-specific lead generation tools go, Thrive Leads is definitely one of the best. The variety of opt-in forms plus the A/B testing, smart links, asset delivery and form building functionality make it stand out.
- Smart Links allow you to show a different CTA to your existing subscribers depending on their behavior.
- Digital Asset Delivery makes it easy to send new subscribers a free download.
- Content upgrade templates are easy to setup.
- Gated content can be hidden behind an opt-in form.
- 50+ Opt-in form templates.
- Drag and drop editor for easy form customization.
- Advanced opt-in form targeting.
- Advanced split testing functionality.
- This is a WordPress only plugin, which is great if you’re running only on WP but can create a headache if you’re running on multiple websites.
- Some of the initial lingo can be confusing when you’re setting up, such as figuring out the difference between “Lead Groups,” “ThriveBoxes,” and “Lead Shortcodes.”
Thrive Leads is available either as a standalone plugin or as part of the Thrive Themes membership. If you opt for the standalone plugin, it starts at $67 for a single site license. If you opt for the Thrive Membership, you’ll pay $19 per month but also get access to all of the Thrive Themes products. Either way you get unlimited updates for life.
OptinMonster has the advantage of being an SaaS cloud-based app instead of being WordPress specific. This means you can manage all your opt-in forms from a central location so you have a great master view of your email marketing strategy. It is one of the best-selling newsletter plugins of all time and is used on over 300,000 websites. If you run multiple WordPress sites, you can focus on testing and improving conversions all from one app without having to visit many different sites.
- Easy to use interface.
- Advanced display rules allow for complex automation, i.e. displaying opt-in forms when someone opts into a campaign or not.
- Content locker hides premium content behind an opt-in form.
- Dynamic text replacement allows you to personalize opt-in forms based on variables like URL queries and cookies.
- Multiple opt-in form types
- Awesome selection of templates
- Easy to customize
- Supports marketing email platforms
- Easy to add custom CSS
- A/B Split testing
- More expensive than WordPress-specific plugins.
- No drag and drop form editor
- Stats are only viewable when connected with Google Analytics
- Not all of the features are available in the cheapest tier.
OptinMonster currently offers four different paid plans. Unfortunately, there’s no free version of OptinMonster. Non-agency plans start at $9 per month ($108 billed annually) aand range up to $29 per month ($348 billed annually).
Bloom is a beautifully designed newsletter plugin with over 115 templates. It supports six different popup form types, including popups, fly-ins, widget area, in-line with content, below content and content lockers. It provides a list of settings to work through when setting up forms and then offers a preview button to view the form before saving it.
- Multiple opt-in form types
- Multiple form triggers
- Large number of integrations with email providers
- Over 115 templates
- No exit intent trigger
- No drag and drop editor
Bloom is available on two price points: An annual license and a lifetime options. With both, you get access to all features and use on unlimited websites. The cost is $89/year (membership includes access to a social sharing plugin, lots of themes and more).
Newsletter is one of the best free newsletter plugins available for WordPress and currently has had over 200,000 downloads. It is great because it lets you have unlimited subscribers and send unlimited emails. Instead of having to rely on third-party services, it uses your web host to send emails. It also features a number of other useful extensions that are available in the premium version.
- Feature-rich drag-and-drop responsive email composer – great for mobile-ready newsletters.
- Double opt-in Subscriptions comply with EU anti-spam laws
- Email tracking and advanced statistics
- Easy segmentation to fine-tune campaigns
- If you have a lot of subscribers, your web host may not be able to support email delivery
- Advanced features not included in basic version.
Pricing is free for the basic version. The premium version, which includes addons like email automation and full reporting, starts at $45/year.
Leadpages comes with a WordPress plugin but is also an entire list-building platform. It allows you to easily create landing pages to build your list and lets you manage multiple pages from a single dashboard. It’s one of the best solutions out there for quickly growing your email list. They also offer all kinds of manuals and instructional videos to help you get set up and make the most of their platform.
- Create high-converting landing pages in minutes
- Create 2-step opt-ins that let you turn any link on a website into a link that displays a popover.
- 70+ Landing Page Templates
- Unlimited landing pages
- Unlimited domains
- Built-in Split testing
- Complete hosting of landing pages
- Excellent support
- You can preview, but not actually design, the responsive version of your page
- Price is higher than other options
- Not all features are included in the cheapest tier.
Pricing is pretty hefty in comparison to a WordPress page builder solution but if the advanced features, integrations and testing will help you generate a good ROI, it’s a very valuable tool. It starts at $37/month.
There you have it. These 5 WordPress email plugins are the best on the market and at least one of them should fit your needs perfectly. Now go out there and grow that email list. What’s that? You don’t have content for your newsletter? Click the banner below and we’ll take care of you. No problem. Don’t mention it. No, you’re the best. Stop it.